Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Minden NV Criterium/Road Race


July 30-31, 2005.

Minden is a small town located just outside of Carson City, NV, about 30 miles southeast of south Lake Tahoe. This was only my second crit and my first road race, and a hard one at that. It's the Masters District Criterium/Road Championships. Categorized by age group (i.e. 30-34yrs, 35-39yrs, 40-44yrs, etc.) . I'm 35 yrs old. But all category levels 1-5, and i'm a 5 (beginner). So needless to say, it was fast!




Coach Myron (w/ red helmet) staying strong in the pack





My team was there, LuzViMin, but only 5 of us, out of 12 members. Our wives and kids came as well, which made it more enjoyable. Plus they can see how exciting it is, sometimes boring just sitting around waiting for race time.





Tom (65yrs) had a 3rd place podium finish. Great job.








THE CRIT RACE:
I always get nervous just 5 minutes before start, but relaxed before that. I got to the line and just waited for the start. I didn't get a chance to survey the route, corners, and straightaways, so the first lap was kind of a surprise. not a good idea. The field was about 40-50 riders, with ex-pros and semi-pros, and i'm a cat 5. Can you say "fast"!

The wistle sounded and away we go. There was a 5 man breakaway by the second turn and the field was slow to pick them up. next thing you know, we're going about 30mph on the straight. A few more turns and there was the "chicane", a quick right/left turn. Stressfull feeling of turning at 25mph with 20 riders around you. Up the street then back to the startline. Lap one done.



Then the speed really picked up, avg 25-30mph, by lap 4-5, i was whipped. I hit top speed of 35.2mph. By lap 6, i was trailing in the back, and each turn was harder to bridge the gap, then another rider and I were finally dropped from the main field.





We worked together for another 2 laps, the the referees finally pulled us off the course because the rest were coming up behind us.

I lasted about 15min out of a 1 hr race. time: 16m 32 s, max: 35.2mph, dist: 6.8mi, avg: 24.6mph, 6 laps + 2 laps.

Overall, I felt good keeping up with the big boys.

THE ROAD RACE:
This was a much less stressfull feeling than the crit. I raced the open cat 3/4/5 group instead of my age group, after being blown away from the crit. The course was an 11 mile loop with 850ft of climbing. I had to do 4 laps (6 laps for 35-39yrs).

At the start was a downhill for 4 miles, but then were 2 hills. That's when the field broke and the strong riders were up and gone. The rest of us just went on our own pace. I managed to get a group of 6 to work with for the next 3 laps. Still hills were hard. we got lapped by the first strong group at the hills, and they were cranking! They went up those hills fast. I still have much training to do.



I finished the race! good feeling. time: 2h 21m 48 s, max: 40mph, dist: 46.09mi, avg: 19.5mph, 4 laps.

good weekend.
jl

4 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Agot said...

Wow! Great looking site, man! Good content!

3:52 PM  
Blogger asianarnold1 said...

i'm learning. need more family stuff.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I like all the details in your latest entry, It sounds exciting and scary.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Heidi R. said...

hey..this is Heathers sis..i will add you to my links!

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home